It was early 2016 and I found myself all alone at my office. I had just let go of a bunch of staff to “restart” my business in a new direction.
The conversation in my head went like this
- Okay Alex, we really need to talk.
- You got all these clients, but you can barely stand them.
- Managing employees is a drag, having this rent is a burden, and the attacks from clients is unbearable
- You know you can get a job and go work for someone for waaaaay more than you’re making trying to do it on your own.
- No, no, no… There has to be a way to keep going!
I stared more at the blank screen, hoping all my problems would go away. Then the conversation started again.
- What if I’ve been doing it all wrong.
- I’m great at what I do. I love what I do. I just don’t exactly love who I’m doing it for, and in the way I’m currently doing it.
- What are my best clients? What were my best experiences?
I just stared at my screen in silence. It was a defining moment for my career as an entrepreneur. The future on my business hung in balance.
- I realized that the business I had constructed was a poor imitation of what God really had for me.
- I also knew I was locked into the journey of entrepreneurship because it’s what I was born to do.
- Would I just sit there and let my business continue to die?
I’ve learned a lot since then, and I’ve become more and more convinced of a simple truth:
The enemy divides, and the Holy Spirit unites.
The enemy is at work in our businesses, our nonprofits, and our campaigns to further our causes, and some of his favorite tools are his lies. The enemy is a stronger business man than you’ll ever be alone, he’s out to make sure you don’t accomplish your Born to To identity. Through deception and deceit, his lies will convince us of many things that God has already declared ‘NOT TRUE’. If you believe those lies, your business can disintegrate before your eyes and you’ll wonder what happened – at least, that’s what happened to me. Paul laid out a counter attack:
Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them. It is shameful even to mention what the disobedient do in secret. But everything exposed by the light becomes visible – and everything that is illuminated becomes a light. This is why it is said: “Wake up, sleeper, rise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you.” —Ephesians 5:11-14
That night alone at my office was a turning point. I didn’t know how I got where I was, and I didn’t know where I was headed. But I decided that I was going to put in the hard work, learn to be painfully honest with myself and my clients, and ask Christ to give me the business that He longed for me to have. As I journeyed out, I became acutely aware of several lies of the enemy that are rampantly believed in businesses that are in trouble, like mine was.
Feeling trapped like I did? The truth can set your business free.
Father, right here, right now, begin to expose the lies of darkness that I have accepted as true. Expose them with the light of Your Word. Wake me, elevate me, may the light of Jesus shine on me, my business and my relationships with my clients and coworkers. Amen.
Start experiencing God in your business daily!